Creating a master and printing directly from computer is one of the great features of the modern Risograph. Not unlike how computer-to-plate (CTP) technology has made lithographic printers life easier so has making a master directly from your graphics editor or DTP software and printing – just like you would with a normal printer.
This page will show you how to connect your Risograph to your computer, make a master and print directly from your PC.
You will need:
• Risograph machine (which has a computer interface – I’m using a RZ 370)
• Computer with graphics or layout software (make sure it has the interface port your Riso uses as some newer computer’s don’t have older ports)
• Printer cable (I’m using parallel interface)
• Software driver CD
1) Connect the printer cable to the Riso as well as computer. Switch both machines on.
2) Insert driver CD into computer.
[Note: If your Riso has a USB interface you do not have to go through the steps below, it should detect the Risograph and install the drivers automatically]
3) Go to Start > Printers & Faxes > Add a printer, if you running Windows XP like me. The “Welcome to the Add Printer Wizard” dialog box will pop up. Click next, select “local printer attached to this computer” (untick “automatically detect and install Plug and Play printer”) and click next. Select LPT1 port (if you are using parallel interface and only have one parallel port on your computer) and click next.
4) At the next dialog box click “Have Disc” then select your CD-Rom drive (where the driver software disc is located). Next select your language of choice and then your computer operating system version.
5) Next select Simple or Advance Driver . I will be using the advanced driver. Select the RISOP3 and click open (or select and double click).
6) Once your Risograph is successfully installed you should get a Windows successful print page.
7) You are now done. You are now ready to make masters and print any document directly from your computer.
Design document to be printed in your favourite graphics or layout software. A word processor will also work. Select File > Print > The Risograph you just installed, and the amount of pages you’d like to print.